Watches of Prayer
Many of us wake up consistently at a certain time each night, in the natural we get up and go to the bathroom, we get something to drink, check our phones, etc. but that is our time of watch. Its our time to be watchmen.
The definition of watch – is to look at or observe attentively over a period of time, to exercise care, caution, or restraint about, and to remain awake for the purpose of religious or devotional purposes.
The definition of watchmen is a man employed to look after an empty building, especially at night, a member of a body of people employed to keep watch in a town at night, someone employed to keep watch for some anticipated event.
So knowing these key definitions, my first thought to make you go “hmmmmm” is, if you were employed to keep watch would you still have a job?
In Matthew 26: 36-46 Jesus asked the disciples to keep watch while He went and prayed, each time He returned they were sleeping. He ask them could you not watch and pray for one hour? So I can imagine that when He wakes us up and we either roll over and go back to sleep, or do everything but watch and pray, He’s asking us the same question, could you not watch and pray for your appointed hours?
We know that when we pray we have to be intentional with our prayers, specific, as well, purposeful. So when we pray during our watch we should have an intentional. target, we should have something that specific to specific, we should have a goal, we should be taking aim, and we should be launching our prayers at a specific location.
Not only should we have a target but we should also have a strategy. We should have a systematic plan of action. Once we know our targets, have a strategy, when then have a better understanding of the perimeters we are covering. While we are interceding with our prayers, while we are in spiritual warfare we become a threat to the enemy and all his demons and principalities because we prepared for battle and we have a plan, not just any plan but a strategic plan.
Within the prayer watches, every number means something.
We know that a clock tells the same time twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. If you look at your clock or watch the numbers that are usually bigger than the others is 3, 6, 9, and 12.
The number 3 represents, the Godhead; the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - Divine Completeness. Man is also tri-dimensional; spirit, body, and soul. As well as the blood, water and Spirit connects us to Christ.
Scriptures: 1John 5:6-7 , Matthew 28:19, Deut. 17:6 and Daniel 3:23-24
The number 6: represents creation, man was created on the 6 th day, there are 6 generations of Cain
Scriptures: 1 Samuel 17:4-7. II Samuel 21:20, Genesis 4:17-18 and Psalm 90:4
The number 9: represents fullness, fruitfulness, and birth
Scriptures: Genesis 17:1, Matthew 27:45, Galatians 5:22-23, and I Corinthians 12:1-11
The number 12: represents Divine Government, Apostolic fullness
Scriptures: Revelation 4, Revelation 12:1, Revelation 22, Genesis 49:28, Exodus 15:27, Matthew 19:28, and Luke 6:13
1) The First Watch of the Night or the Early Night Watch (6pm-9pm): this is the time to silence the enemy. Lam. 2:18-19, Exo 27:21 Psalm 119:148
2) The Second Watch of the Night or the Late Night Watch (9pm- 12 midnight): this is the time to ask for divine and human favor. Rev 9:16, Acts 23:23, Exo 3:21,
3) The Third Watch of the Night or The Midnight Watch (12 midnight – 3am): this is the time to wage war. Psalm 119:62, Isa 42:22, Psalm 68, Acts 16:25, Exo 12-14
4) The Early Morning Watch or the Dawn (3am – 6am): the time to pray for deliverance. Isa 58:8, Rev. 22:76, Psalm 18:28, Job 3:9
5) The First Watch of the Day or The late morning (6am – 9am): the time to pray for healing. Acts 2:15, Prov 4:16
6) The second watch of the Day or the exit and entry watch (9am – 12 noon): the time to take off the old man. I kings 18, I kings 8:56 Jos. 23:14, Matt 20:3, Acts 2:15
7) The third watch of the day or The Watch of Shaking of Foundations and Judgement (12 noon – 3pm): the time to pray against destruction. John 4:6, Matt 27:25, Acts 26:13, Jer. 15:8
8) The fourth watch of the day or the Transformation Watch: The time to change history. Acts 3:1, Acts 10:30, Isa 60:11-22
Its time to get on the clock!!!!
Pastor T. P. Lane "U. R. Valued"